Monday, May 9, 2011

Blog Pause

It seems that this blog and I are at another crossroads, as evidenced by the lack of recent posts here.

My relationship with poker is as rocky as ever, due primarily to the recent indictments of major online poker companies by the U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI. While some of my writing gigs are solid for the time being, others remain in question and may be lost. It’s an unstable time for online poker in the U.S. in general, and my sustenance through it is shaky.

I haven’t written about the recent turn of events in poker because of contractual obligations that could be jeopardized by doing so. While I chomp at the bit with opinions and information, I remain silent because - well - I have bills to pay and I enjoy my work. So, I stay silent for the unforeseeable future.

Poker and I also had a squabble just before the indictments, and that has been put on the back burner. A major poker entity stole an idea from me, and I’m still sorting out my options as to how to pursue the thieves, if at all.

On the positive side, I have some extra work in May and some work prospects for the coming months. Everything seems to be in limbo, but I have hope. And I am pursuing a number of other options to supplement my currently insufficient income.

This blog has also been the cause of a recent rift with a close friend. Though I’m unclear about details because the person is not speaking to me, I do know it stems from something I posted in this space. While I have long maintained that this is my place and its content will not be censored by those who don’t understand it, I have had to reconsider the purpose of the blog and what I write. Since my personal life does include others, it’s difficult for me to write anything that doesn’t include them. So, with no clear answers to so many questions, this remains a struggle for the time being.

Other purposes of this blog have been put on hold of late. Reading a book per week has not been possible when searching for work takes all of my spare time. Giving serious thought to world news for the purpose of op-ed pieces hasn’t been at the top of my priority list, either, and making a trip per month has been out of the question for financial reasons.

What continues to be a release for me is my food blog and my endeavors in the kitchen. It’s been a real treat and doesn’t seem to bother anyone or jeopardize my current jobs, so I continue to experiment with food and enjoy that process. And hey, a girl’s gotta eat, right?

2 comments:

  1. All of my blogs have paused too. Each for different/similar reasons. Thankfully, GReader lets me know when people update.

    Anyways, Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed your blogs have been relatively quiet. Hope all is well.

    Hi! :)

    ReplyDelete